About Sister José Women’s Center:
At Sister José Women’s Center, we believe everyone can play a part in ending women’s homelessness. You’ll fit in with our team if you’re a determined optimist with a heart for women who are homeless and alone.
Sister José Women’s Center is a low-barrier center that provides women with a safe environment to recuperate from the daily struggle of homelessness and extreme poverty. The overnight program provides a safe space for women who would otherwise be sleeping outside. Sister José Women’s Center is more than a place; we are a community built upon the values of compassion, dignity, and respect in a non-institutionalized setting. For many of our guests and their pets, we are home.
The Program Assistant assists in program functions and flow for efficient day-to-day operations. This person provides excellent customer service and tends to the needs of all Sister Jose Guests in a professional, non-judgmental, and courteous manner. The Program Assistant models sound decision-making, positive personal accountability, and encourages paths toward self-sufficiency and positive outcomes.
Sister José Women’s Center offers a safe and compassionate environment that honors the dignity of all women. Reports to the Program Director as part of the Program Team.
May include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide an active presence inside and outside the Center during assigned shift.
- Assist and welcome guests in the drop-in setting, providing guidelines, answering questions, offering services and refreshments, and connecting guests to Case Navigators.
- Monitor guests’ compliance with program guidelines and provide appropriate guidance to those guests who are out of compliance.
- Communicate with guests in a positive, caring, confidential, and professional manner that respects and understands the importance of personal boundaries.
- Assist in maintaining cleanliness of kitchen and main areas.
- Interact with guests, volunteers, and fellow staff in a professional manner.
- Communicate any guest concerns to the Program Director or other administrative staff.
- Safeguard the inside and outside areas of the Center, prioritize safety for guests, volunteers, and staff.
- Ability to respond to and de-escalate crisis incidents.
- Communicates significant risk issues to the COO and/or Program Director.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Program Director, CEO, and COO
Must be a team-oriented individual who is willing to work hard, learn, and grow as a professional and person.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and multi-task.
- Effective communication skills – written and oral.
- De-escalation skills, crisis management, and trauma-informed care practices.
- Work cooperatively in a team environment.
- Able to make hard decisions, uphold personal and professional boundaries, and work with challenging behaviors.
- Empathy, persuasiveness, and orientation to help others succeed.
- Comfortable working with individuals with mental health and/or substance abuse issues.
- High school diploma or equivalency
- First Aid/CPR certification or ability to obtain
- Must be able to pass a background check to work with vulnerable adults.
- Valid Driver’s license and clean driving record
- Bilingual – English/Spanish
- Two years’ experience working with people experiencing homelessness
Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift to 20 pounds at times
Hourly Rate: $16 depending on experience and education
Hours: Varied schedule
Apply for this position by emailing a resume or job application to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Position open until filled.
Sister Jose’s Women’s Center is committed to a discrimination-free workplace and to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, pregnancy, a mental or physical challenging condition, marital or family status, amnesty, political affiliation, status as a covered veteran, or other protected characteristic in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Sister José Women’s Center offers a safe and compassionate environment that honors the dignity of all women.