Become Part of the SJWC Community
Our crew of amazing volunteers are the heartbeat of SJWC!
If you are interested in joining our community please contact us at 520-909-3905.
Bring your compassion to Sister Jose Women’s Center and impact the quality of lives of our treasured Guests in practical and meaningful ways. Some of volunteer duties include: cooking and serving meals, sorting donations, assisting our guest in picking out free clothing from our shop.
We also have opportunities for:
• civic and faith-based organizations
• male volunteers
• student internships
• schools and youth organizations
Yearly Safe Overnights
Each year, we provide over 13,000 safe, overnight stays to Tucson homeless women who would otherwise sleep outdoors.
Volunteer With Us!
Bring your compassion to Sister Jose Women’s Center and impact the quality of lives of our treasured Guests in practical and meaningful ways. Some of the compassionate activities you will be providing, both small and profound, include:
- Cooking and serving warm, nutritious meals in our gathering room
- Assisting our Guests in selecting free, seasonal, and appropriate clothing from our shop
- Helping our Guests achieve independent personal care through free personal care items, cleaning their clothes, and daily hot showers
- Sorting community donations to select items our guests need to be well-fed, warm, clean, and comfortable
- Helping provide a safe, clean, comfortable sleep for our Guests in the overnight program
- Ensuring our Guests feel seen, recognized, valued and respected through compassionate interaction with them
- Building a safe space for our Guests to experience safety, protection, and dignity off the street
Steps to Become a Volunteer
1. Attend a Volunteer Orientation (sign up online to the right)
2. Fill out an application and agree to a background check and fingerprint clearance card.
3. Attend 6 hrs of hands-on training. Training times are Mon-Sat 9:00-12:00 and 12:00-3:00.
4. Design your own schedule. Shifts are available Mondays through Saturdays:
Morning Shift: 8:30am - 11:30am
Midday Shift: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Afternoon Shift: 2:30pm – 5:30pm
Overnight Shift: 5:30pm – 7:30am
Questions? Email our Volunteer Coordinator
Volunteer Orientation Sign-up
More Volunteer Opportunities
If you are interested in any of these volunteer opportunities please contact us at 520-909-3905.
SJWC provides opportunities for several female college students to complete a 135-hour internship every semester. Interns work in both the day and night programs and participate in special events. Many of our interns stay on as volunteers after completing their class because they have found their experience personally fulfilling and have become a part of a nurturing community of women.
Schools and Youth Organizations
We love providing opportunities for community service projects for young people. Adult supervision is required.
Male Volunteers are greatly appreciated and usually give their time in a variety of ways – helping with outdoor maintenance and landscape, completing odd jobs, helping with special events, or donating their professional skills.
Civic and Faith-based Organizations
Volunteer together, organize donation drives, hold a fundraiser, plan a Day of Giving or help us spread or message to your community. We always welcome opportunities to speak to local organizations.
We Love Our Amazing Volunteers!
Monthly Volunteer Hours
It takes over 1,400 volunteer hours each month to keep our services available to women in need.
Donation Wish List
Monday – Saturday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
1050 S Park Ave, Tucson, AZ 85719 – 520-909-3905
We are always in need of clothing and supplies for the center. Each donation has a direct and positive impact on all those who come through the doors of our shelter. We thank you in advance for your generosity! View our printable donation wish list.
(new or gently used)
Casual shirts and blouses
Pants, capris and leggings
Sweaters, hoodies, jackets
Cotton panties (new, size 5 – XXXL)
Bras (all sizes)
Socks (new white sport socks)
Shoes (athletic, sandals, and flats)
Costco gift cards (for shelter’s food and pantry)
Supermarket and pharmacy gift cards (small denominations for guests)
Hygiene and First Aid
(full size and travel size)
Hair brushes and wide-tooth combs (new)
Hair products for women of color
Body wash and hand soap
Depends Disposable Underwear
Nail clippers and files
Tooth brushes/tooth paste
First aid items
Transportation and Outdoor Living
Sun Tran bus passes (critical for our clients)
Shopping carts that fold
Yoga mats (for sleeping outside)
Paper plates and bowls
Plastic utensils/cups (no Styrofoam)
Liquid Laundry Detergent
Copyright © Sister Jose Women’s Center. All Rights Reserved.